Steve and I have started a new tradition in our ward. An "Elder's Quorum Adult Holiday Potluck and White Elephant Gift Exchange". Long name, but that's what Steve wanted to call it (he's so funny!!) We hosted it at our house on Saturday, the 6th. A little bit intimidating (could we get it clean enough????), but it turned out really well.
First, we played a game where there are pictures depicting a Christmas song, and you have to try to solve the picture. Here is an example:

Whoever got the most right (either as a couple, or individually) got a prize. It was a key holder made of wood that had the word "keys" in cursive with 3 hooks on the bottom. It was just something we had lying around the house.
Then we ate dinner. We had sign-ups going around for 2-3 weeks asking for people to bring either a.) main dish, b.) side dish, c.) salad, d.) dessert, or e.) drink. Everyone did a great job bringing what they signed up for, and there was LOTS of yummy food.
After dinner, we played the White Elephant game. We don't play it the "normal" way. It takes too long; especially when you have 13 couples (including Steve and me) playing, with quite a few playing as individuals!! So this is how we played: Everyone is in a circle. Everyone takes a gift and opens it. Take a minute for everyone to see what all the gifts are. Then, you have 2 pie pans, each with a pair of dice. Hand one person a pie pan, and on the opposite side of the circle, hand someone else the other pie pan. When we say go, you roll the dice, and if you get doubles, you get to "steal" a gift. Whoever you steal from, you give them your gift. You pass around the pie pan quickly, and keep trying for doubles. It's so much fun this way, because more often than not, people are "stealing" the gift you just got up and stole, even before you get a chance to sit down!! Lots of laughing and yelling.
We had so much fun. It was a huge success!! We're definitely doing it again next year!!
There were a couple of toddlers and one baby there. It was fun seeing them run around and play with each other!!



9 comments:
I love fun evenings like that! And it's so nice to not have to drive anywhere and just crawl into your bed and go to sleep at your house. Will you have it somewhere else next year?
Good job hosting it!!
that is a great blog. Yes, it looked like a very good party. I'm sure and Steve a wonderful job. I need a translation of the game example.
what do you mean by "a translation"? Do you want the answers? Or just more detailed directions? Let me know in the comments, and I'll do what I can!!
IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!!
I had never been to a white elephant gift exchange, and it was just hilarious! Everyone wanted to get rid of the bowling ball, and wanted the chocolates! Hahaha! Funny thing is, I landed the chocolates and I gave half of it to the Gaspers!
And by the way, the house was spotless! ;)
answers, girl, answers
Okay, silly!!!
1. Jingle Bells
2. Walking in a Winter Wonderland
3. Santa Claus is coming to Town
4. The First Noel
5. Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (for the game we colored the paint can red)
6. Little Drummer Boy
7. I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas
8. I saw Three Ships
9. What Child is this?
10 We Three Kings
We had 40 problems for them to solve. It was so much fun!!
Mom-I'll bring them when I come over and we'll see how everyone does :o)
Cool...that will be fun.
Had Ian's wedding/reception last night. Harold/Adele, Gary/Rhelda were here. All our wards were cancelled today. We're just sitting here now with nothing to do. I'm going to make stacked enchiladas today.
Did you guys get snow????
We got snow on Friday, and Saturday. Now, Sunday, I don't think we got above 9 degrees!! And it's really windy, so it supposedly feels like -11 degrees!! Way to cold for me!! Ice everywhere!!
It looks like you have a ton of younger couples in your ward! Lucky you!! I'm sure you two are the popular couple!
Post a Comment