Well, our family has decided to venture out and try something new. We all went fishing. The kids each had their own fishing pole and everything. Even though frustrations were high on the parents end (lots of untangling of lines and hooks) the kids did have a great time. Even a few fish were caught (but only by Dad). Here are some pictures of the blessed afternoon.
*****
This is where we went fishing. Don't be fooled. Badger Lake is actually pretty nice once you drive past the mobile home park :)
Steve relaxing with his fishing pole.
In the foreground, Kate is getting ready to cast out her line.
In the middle, (ignore the guys in the back) Parker just cast out his line.
There's Lindsey REALLY going for it!!
Ethan is even in on the action!! He has a lot of fun. Notice his harness tied to the camping chair. Not a completely fool proof way to keep track of him, but it's easier to catch him when he's dragging a chair behind him!!
Here is Steve's first fish. We were all so excited!! It was actually really tiny, but hey, it's still a fish. By the way, Steve hates seafood, so of course we do catch and release.
This is a close-up of fish # 1. All the kids got to touch it. So fun :P
And just for comparisons sake, here's fish # 4. The biggest one by far. The second fish actually looked like the first fish. I told the kids he really wanted to be dinner and that we should try him. They didn't like that idea. BTW, fish # 3, I didn't get a photo of. He fell off the hook really fast. But he was pretty! Kinda the shape of Dori from Nemo, only yellow.
*****
So now, the kids are always asking when we get to go fishing again. As much as we would love to go everyday, it's not so relaxing (and isn't fishing supposed to be relaxing?!?!?) when you are constantly undoing the kids' tangled fishing lines. But no worries. We have to put to use all those lures and poles, and bobbers, and whatever else Steve had to buy!!



4 comments:
Aw, how fun! Looks like the kids really did have a great time. I can understand a little bit of what you mean about untangling lines and everything, after we did a teeny bit of "fishing" (with no hook) with Melinda when she was younger. But she still loved it. I'm sure catching actual fish would have made it even more exciting!
And I'm with Steve, I'd be doing catch and release as well. ;)
I remember loving to go fishing as a kid. I bet it was pretty "non-relaxing" for my Dad and now I'm guessing that is why we only went once or twice a year. But I guess that is what makes those experiences so special because they are out of the ordinary, right?
what a fun outing! Good for you. I loved the tethered(sp?) line to the camp chair. How did he feel about it? love and miss you guys.
I've been begging Dorian to please bring home a nice juicy fish so we can throw it on the grill!!! FREE dinner, and it would be so good. BUT...he always forgets to bring a cooler. I'm gonna have to put my foot down soon! So, as of now Dorian does catch and release, but not by my choice!
It looked like a fun day as a family, and that's what I'm ALL about. We went out on the lake the other night in our raft and paddled around for a while. It was a lot of fun!
I'm with mom! The connecting of Ethan to the chair is a great idea! He wouldn't be able to sneak away! That's for sure.
Post a Comment