CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

August 29, 2008

I Want This

(Not the baby, just sleep.)
Literally.  It's 2:30am, as I'm writing this (actually, I can hear a train going by.  The tracks are probably 4-5 block from our house.  It's really loud :)  )  and I haven't been to sleep yet tonight.  This has happened before, about a year ago, so the Dr. put me on Ambien (sleeping rx).  That sorta worked.  Then it seemed to resolve itself, and I quit taking the Ambien.  I've never been a GOOD sleeper, but it was better than before.  Now, it's bad again.  I don't know what to do.  Well, I know what I should do, and I don't have the energy to do it.  It's a catch 22.  I should really start exercising (Ugggg).  But my thoughts are headed in the right direction.  I want to start walking/running right after the kids go to school.  Kate will be with me, and she can ride her bike.  Anyway, what tricks do you use when you can't fall asleep?
Total change of topic.  The cub scout lady called.  She wanted to make sure she had Ethan's info right, and that he would be turning 8 in December.  Yep.  Scouts.  I totally did not see this one coming.  Baptism, we know is going to be interesting - whether we do it or not.  But I completely forgot about scouts.  I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

5 comments:

Becky N. said...

Well, you've seen what I do when I can't sleep. I blog, too! But really, my biggest problem is just that I can't get my brain to shut off long enough to fall asleep. The tricks I usually try are relaxation techniques, specifically one we learned at youth conference when I was 13, maybe?

Lay down on your back, with your arms either by your side or your hands on your torso, whichever feels more relaxed. Then think of a color, imagine it surrounding you, being inside you, how does it make you feel? What do you think of when you see that color? Is it warm, is it happy, or peaceful, or vivid, etc? Just concentrate on the color for several long moments, and keep your breathing even.

Then, once you've gone through the whole rainbow, do muscle relaxation exercises: Starting at the top of your head, flex one muscle group as tight as you can (for instance, start by squeezing your eyes as tight as you can while bringing your eyebrows down). Hold those muscles at least 5-10 seconds. Then consciously relax them. And then see if you can relax them even further than that. Next, move to your nose, tighten all the muscles around it as much as you can, then relax them thoroughly. Then your mouth. Your neck and shoulders. Your arms and hands. Your stomach. Your thighs. Your calves. Your toes. As you move to each muscle group, focus on keeping the previous muscles nice and relaxed, and your breathing even.

Often, but not always, I will fall asleep partway through this routine. It gives me something to focus my mind on while relaxing my body so that I can sleep. Something else you may want to try, if my problem sounds enough like yours, is finding a good "guided imagery" CD or MP3 download, and listen to it while laying in bed. I never feel more relaxed than when I'm listening to that sort of thing - and using imagery kind of paves the way into peaceful dreams. Unfortunately, I only have birthing related imagery tracks, or have otherwise just gone to a group setting and have nothing recorded, so I can't really recommend anything. But good luck, I know it's really frustrating. (And I, also, really need to start exercising, for that reason and many more... wish we were closer, I'd totally buddy up with you!)

As for SCOUTS!! Well! I didn't realize Ethan was getting so big. Jesse's been in Cub Scouts for a year or so now. We go with him to pack meeting sometimes. I know I'll be terrified when Jacob (and then Alex) are old enough to start the Scout program. Oh, so much to think about. But hopefully it will all be a very positive experience for Ethan!! :)

Megan said...

So, when I saw your picture before I read your post, I thought you meant you wanted a sweet little baby girl! :) What a precious picture!

I don't have any advice on the sleep thing. Since I got a new calling, I don't sleep anymore either. I do find that if I read my scriptures and then sort out my thoughts in prayer as much as I can, then I do fall asleep faster, rather than just saying a quick prayer....I'm not so stressed when I'm trying to go to sleep. Exercise is the key, I think for me too. I've been trying to do it more, but it's not every day.

Good luck....I wish I had better advice!

The Duckers said...

At first I though you were trying to tell us you wanted a little baby!!
But then I realized it was the peaceful sleep you wanted. I am so sorry about that. Reading always helps me, but I don't have that problem very often, so I don't have much to offer.
The walking after the kids go to school is such a good idea!!! Good luck with that.

Megan said...

I've struggled with sleeping ever since I had kids. And no, it's not because they wake up in the night because they don't. It started when I was pregnant with Emma. But right now, I am the best sleeper I think I've ever been. I still have a night every month or so when I toss and turn a bit, but I have found that the two best things are exercise(which you already mentioned) and early to bed, early to rise. That one is the hardest for me. Because when you're not sleeping well at night, all you want to do is stay in bed in the mornings. But, having kids in school helps alot with that problem. Now, I never take naps, because that just totally screws up the whole thing. But it does say somewhere in the scriptures to rise early and I feel like ever since I began following that, I've slept so much better. It usually takes about a week for my body to get used to it. Oh, good luck! Sleeping problems are the worst when you've got busy little ones at home that need you at your best!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I can attest to your lack of sleep. I was really surprised by how late it would be at the Crockett reunion before you would call it quits. I can't ever sleep when I want to--only in front of the TV. So unless the noise bothers Steve, try leaving it on. But I'm sure you've tried that. When I'm super deperate, I heard of this breathing technique that is supposed to help you sleep.

Breathe in for a certain amount of counts (2, 3, 4, etc...) and then exhale for double the original value. So if you breathe in for 3 counts, exhale for 6.
Do this seguence 6 times on your back, 12 times on your side, 18 on you other side and 24 on your stomach.

It might work, who knows...normally I conk out before I finish, but I only do this after I look at the clock, realize it's 3 in the morning, and I have to wake up in two hours for seminary.

Good luck with the insomnia.

-Kaija